July 30, 2008

Hi Hao Beijing

YES, I have arrived in Beijing. After a 9 hour flight I arrived at a rainy Beijing.
The airport looks completely new and so very clean !! On board the flight was the dutch gymnastics team (Epke Zonderland and Suzanne Harmes) and 2 athletes from Ecuador and PerĂº! We all got to enter via the Olympic lane . . . I felt so sportive, and without shedding one pearl of sweat!! Beat all other passengers through customs, hahahaha. Beijing is much greener and cleaner than I expected. There is almost no traffic at the moment - because of the pollution problem. There is even a fast lane on the highway for the Olympics only - special pass required to drive on it. Feels very VIPish.

Hotel Chong Wen Men is an older Chienese hotel - many locals staying here too. It is in the middle of town, at a walkable distance of the Temple of Heaven and Tiannenmen square. I must say though that I started by catching up on my sleep. Today I will first meet the team at the Hyatt - where our guests will be staying and the Lenovo command centre is. Then wizz off to do some sightseeing as I officially start work on Aug 1st. I already met some of my fellow colleagues on the hospitality team last night and this morning - will be good to meet the rest. Funny how you can know someone for years and never have met them face to face. Great to see their faces at last.

No comments: