August 25, 2008

And then it was over . . . .

What a trip !! After weeks of hard work the Olympics are now over . .. what a vacume we will land in. Yesterday was closing ceremony that I was very greatful to attend (Thanks again Jess). Security was uped again which made it a lot harder to get everyone on the Olympic Green. Also some of the routes we were using to guide our guests were closed - this as they were filled with trucks loaded with fireworks. Looked like a warzone - never seen firework that looks like projectiles before, and surrounded by so much military makes it even more surreal.

All were on there best behaviour and I must say that although security was intensified it was not awkard. Even with certain groups present - I saw tibetan munks - there was no problem at all.

It was the last sprint for the team - the closing ceremony for the last group of guests. The greatest challenge is that of ensuring all our guests (seated in different sections) get out of the nest and find their way to OHC. For this we have used a "Line of Sight" - lining up all the crew with lolipops along the route - not a single soul would have visisted closing Ceremony without having seen Lenovo. It is also amazing that we have become a tourist attraction. In the 3 hours I stood outside the birdsnest oat my post I think I was photographed hundreds of times - everybody wants a picture with you. This must be similar to what celebrities go through - 5 people lined up taking turns to stand beside you for a picture - amazing !! and like vultures on you when they find out you have pins to hand out.
Luckily all went well, all guests got out on time and we lost no one. The team was incredibly relieved and we crashed on the ground infront of the OHC for a spontaneous picknick and later a little party at the hotel where we all released the pressure. Did you know you can fit 21 grown people into a toilet cubicle? well believe me - you can !!!
More later - xxx Carina

No comments: