August 11, 2008

Yahoo - Lift off + 3

Busy, Busy, Busy . . . . Sorry it has been a while. I have experienced a lot in the last few days.

The most important and exciting is THE OPENING CEREMONY !!! Yes, I know you are turning green in the face with envy . . . I was there !!! :-) It was absolutely Fantastic. I have never seen or experienced anything like it. Obviously I was not expecting to see it so when I received a ticket and finally registered it was for me - took me a while - I was extatatic and I must say very emotional. I had quite a few moments I had to hide the tears of joy in my eyes. I know - I am a softy . . . . See an impression of the size of the stadium inside . . is incredible. We had excellent seats accross from the VIP lounge. Below some impressions - although I am sure you got to see quite a bit on TV.













I have too many pictures to share here but these 4 should give you a pretty good impression. The birds nest is just as impressive by night as during the day.
On a general note - this is a superb experience although very demanding. I have found myself going on approx. 2-4 hours sleep a day until now. You live on adrenaline. Last night I did get a chance to catch up on my sleep (2 hrs nap) as today is arrival and departure day. Even managed a quick visit to the Holland Heinieken House and ran into two acquaintances from back home !! Who would have thought. Also there were our MP Balkenende and athletes . . always nice to see them.

On the Games - I have been lucky enough to accompany our guests to Mens Gymnastics and Ladies Volleyball (China vs Venezuela and USA vs Japan) I must say that Volleball was great - all the Chinese going crazy. I need to download some more pictures from my camera so I will get back to you soon on my adventures.
For now - I need to go - I have airport duty - we are taking guests to and from the airport today as our first wave comes to an end and the second starts. See how many hours of sleep I get on this wave . . . Ohh, and update on the elephant ankles. . . The doctor seemed to think I needed to go to hospital for blood tests and such - scared the living daylights out of me !! Now that I have gotten some sleep and am sleeping with 2 pillows under my feet swelling has gone down a lot so my opinion is I will live, even without a hospital visit :-) Worst case scenario the Dutch NOC has offered I can consult their doctor.
Ciao for now and HUP HOLLAND HUP . . . keep those medals rolling in.
xx Carina

1 comment:

David Churbuck said...

Great pictures. I am jealous because I got to watch it from a hotel room!

Anyway, congratulations. It looks like your European Broadcasting Union program is off and running with great results!